Master Boat Licence



Where do we offer training?

8.00am or 9.30am Practical training is conducted at:

The Boat Ramp adjacent to Taplin Park in Drummoyne.

At the end of Bayswater Street, Drummoyne NSW 2047.

Click for Googlemaps link.


11.00am Theory course and test are conducted at:

21/38-50 Lyons Road Drummoyne NSW 2047 (first floor)

There are two main entrances. Find the IGA in Drummoyne, and you’ve found us:)

Click for Googlemaps link.

MAST Boat Licence Drummoyne

 MAST Boat Licence Drummoyne

Master Boat Licence Front Door

 Then enter through this door (above).


Our training room (above).


Where can I park?

When attending the practical training, it is not legal to park in the boat trailer area near the boat ramp. However there is ample un-metered parking along Bayswater Street.

When attending the theory training, you will need to park in an un-metered area, for example Bayswater Street, Tranmere Street, or Collingwood Street. This will mean about a 5 or more minute walk, so please arrive early.

Master Boat Licence Map

When do we offer training?

Regular course dates and times are available on this website in the dropdown menu of each product.

When do I need a boat licence?

In NSW you must have a general boat licence to drive any vessel over a speed of 10kts (18.5km/h). That is to say that if you intend to drive a vessel at a speed that will allow the vessel to plane, you need a general boat licence.

When do I need a PWC (personal watercraft) licence?

In NSW you must have a PWC licence to drive a PWC at any speed. A PWC licence is an upgraded licence from a general boat/marine licence. It requires an additional PWC Safety Course and an additional PWC licence test.

What do I need to bring to the course?

You will need to bring identification. Young adults will need their parent or guardian to attend the training session with their ID as well as giving their consent. Click here to see the current Transport for NSW identification documents:  Accepted Identification Documents

How long does the course and testing take?

The time taken depends on the number of people in the course and the student’s uptake of the information provided to get them through the exam.

Practical training starts at 8.00am or 9.30am sharp. Boat theory starts after completion of practical, approx 11.00am and end approx 3.00pm. PWC theory training is conducted after boat theory completion.

Please note that we have limited seats for the practical component of training. For this reason, sometimes we need to conduct the practical training in two sessions. If this occurs and you are in the second group, we will let you know your start time shortly after your booking.

Is lunch provided?

Unfortunately no, however there is a cafe and IGA within the complex and complimentary tea and coffee is available in the training room. Please feel free to bring snacks and/or drinks as it is often a big day for most students.

Are there toilets available?

Separate and regularly cleaned male and female toilets are available at the seminar venue, but no toilet facilities are available during the practical component.

What does the boat licence exam entail?

The exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions. You must get 100% correct in the first 20 questions and then at least 24/30 in the remaining 30 questions to pass the exam.

What does the PWC exam entail?

The PWC exam consists of 15 multiple choice questions. You must answer 12/15 to pass the exam.


What if I fail the exam?

If you fail the exam you will be provided the opportunity to re-sit the exam on the day. If the 2nd attempt is failed, you won’t be able to re-sit another exam on the day but you will be able to attend any of our other courses at any of our locations at no additional cost within 12 months of your initial attendance at one of our courses.

Do I get my licence on the day?

You will be given a licence application form that will show Roads & Maritime (Transport for NSW) staff you have successfully completed the General Boat Licence Knowledge Exam. You will need to take that form (along with a completed Transport for NSW Logbook if you did your practical on-board training elsewhere) to your local Transport for NSW Office or Service NSW and pay the relevant licence fee to Transport for NSW to obtain your licence. There are no further exams to complete.

Do I need to complete practical on-board training?

Transport for NSW require that you complete practical on-board training before issuing you with your boat licence. We can provide this training. Alternatively, you may complete the Boat Driving Licence Practical Logbook (available on the day from us, or from Transport for NSW). The logbook must be completed with a licenced skipper over 18 years of age, who has held their licence for a minimum of three years, on a registered vessel fitted with all required safety equipment.

How do I complete my NSW Maritime logbook?

You may choose to complete the practical requirements with us on the day of your course. Otherwise, simply complete the activities in the Boat Driving Licence Practical Logbook with someone who is over 18 years of age, has held their boat licence for at least three years over the course of three trips. The trips can be conducted on the same day and can be of any length of time. The logbook is not hours based so your trip may have taken a minute, an hour or the whole day. Bear in mind that Transport for NSW can and do conduct random audits on the logbooks to ensure their integrity. Click here for a PDF logbook: Logbook

Will Transport for NSW charge me a fee?

Yes. You will need to pay the appropriate licence fee to Transport for NSW to obtain your licence. Click here for current Transport for NSW fees: Fees

How old must you be to get a boat licence?

A junior (less than 16 yrs of age)/restricted licence is available for persons aged between 12 to 16 years. The junior/restricted licence is a restricted licence but among other privileges, it does allow the licence holder to act as an observer when you are involved in towing activities such as wakeboarding, water skiing and the like.

Can I get a handbook from you to help me study?

You can obtain a NSW Safe Boating Handbook or Personal Watercraft Handbook from any Service NSW office. Alternatively, click here for an electronic copy:

Boat Handbook

PWC Handbook

It is highly recommended that you have completed the Transport for NSW example questions to a competent level prior to attending training.

The general boat licence knowledge test consists of 50 multiple choice questions. In the first section you must answer 24 out of 30 questions correctly. In the next section you must answer all 20 questions correctly. The PWC knowledge test consists of 15 questions. You must answer at least 12 of these correctly.

Please click here for the official Transport for NSW Boating Knowledge Quiz: Practise Tests


I have trouble with written exams. Can you help me with doing an oral exam?

Yes we can. Just get in contact with us and we will do our best to accommodate you. Alternatively, Transport for NSW can provide interpreters or other assistance at no cost to you.

Can I use my boat licence in other states?

Yes you can. A boat licence is like a car licence in that it is recognised in other States and Territories in Australia. If you intend on staying in that State or Territory for more than 3 months, you will need to swap your existing licence to the corresponding State’s licence.


How do I get my PWC licence?

You must hold a general boat licence first and then upgrade to a PWC licence. You can complete a boat licence and PWC licence course with us on the same day. There is an additional course and test required to get a PWC licence. If you already have a boat licence you can just attend the PWC upgrade course which is typically held after the boat licence course and testing.

Can I use my PWC before I get a licence?

No. You must hold a PWC licence before you drive a PWC in NSW and/or Vic. If you are caught driving a PWC without a licence you WILL be fined. The fine is currently $500 in NSW.

Is there a logbook for the PWC licence?

No not for the PWC licence.

What is a Jet Ski or PWC?

Jet Ski is the trademarked name Kawasaki use for their personal water craft (PWC) product. A PWC is a vessel with a fully enclosed hull that may be driven standing up, lying down, sitting astride or kneeling.

Master Boat Licence